Receive information about important book releases by email.
You'll get 30+ e-books and articles when you join this Free email list.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Rec Therapy is in the Middle East

TR is in the Middle East.

Did you know that? I wasn't aware until now.

This is exciting.

Received the following email today:

Hi Danny, I have been working in the hospital and pediatric rehabilitation center in the middle east as therapeutic recreation assistance-II for 7 years up to present .

I am looking forward the opportunity to earn the certification from the NCTRC through taking some online studies.

Could you help me to be in a right way to pursue the therapeutic recreation certificate? Would you mind to give an advice to me on how to avail some therapeutic recreation or recreational therapy courses in the purpose to earn more knowledge /education and most the certification as therapeutic recreation therapist/specialist.

What are the particular requirements should i prepare to meet the criteria?

- Rhanet.

Here was my response:

Dear Rhanet, Thanks for writing.

Glad to hear that you’ve worked as a Therapeutic Recreation Assistant-II for the last 7-years. It sounds wonderful.

I wasn’t aware that these types of services were provided in the Middle East until your email. I've worked with pediatrics in a psychiatric setting for the last 7-years and am interested in physical rehab someday, too.

Glad you’re thinking about certification and hope I can lead you in the right direction. The courses that I offer online through my web-site site are for post-degree continuing education only.

There are several places that provide distance education/ online learning in the profession. Indiana University (Bloomington, Indiana) offers a Master’s degree program in Therapeutic Recreation that can be completed online. Here is a link:

Charlie Dixion’s Therapeutic Recreation Directory online has a web-site with a list of colleges and universities that offer distant education programs in the field. You may want to send an email to the contact person at each of these colleges to see which school may have the best program for you. Go here for the link: T

he National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC) requires an internship under the direct supervision of a Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS). Do you know if there are any CTRS in the Middle East? I hope so. If not, maybe you could become the first. I’m a CTRS, but I’m not an official spokesperson for NCTRC. You may want to contact them regarding internship in the Middle East. Here is a link with their contact information:

Please keep in touch with me – to let me know about your progress. As always, I’m very pleased to hear of others who are interested in continuing their training in our field. I think what you're doing is very exciting.

Your friend,


P.S. Posted your question and this answer at the TR forum so other people can post comments, too. Go here to view it:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts